Thursday, November 5, 2009

keep on trucking





During the dot com bust, I was between jobs and supposed someone as old and beat up as I was, would never get work in computers. I looked at what jobs old guys can get and saw many of them were making deliveries. So I got a truck license and got a job delivering rice from the field to the elevators.

It was hot, grubby work and I loved it. Unfortunately, I wasn't very good at it and thought I'd try bus driving. I enjoyed that too.

Bus driving is a crummy job. The pay stinks, the hours are bad, it has no status, there's little chance of advancement...but you get to drive a bus.

Bus driving is like golf. You do the same thing over and over, continually trying to do a better job. I liked going to a yard full off idling buses, checking out my bus, and rumbling off to my shift. Someday I'll do it again. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment